If ever there was a recipe made for the gram*, this is it. Guys, say hello to these amazing RAINBOW PANCAKES.
It was my boyfriend who originally suggested this recipe, which combines two of my favourite things – sugar and Instagrammable food!
Originally we tried it on Shrove Tuesday, but this colourful recipe can be brought out for brunch or as a dessert option all year round as it tastes even better than it looks.
- 200g/7oz self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 25g/1oz butter, melted, plus extra for frying
- Red, yellow, green and blue gel food colouring
- Punnet of blueberries/strawberries
- Ice cream or Whipped cream
- Maple syrup
- Put all the pancake ingredients, except the dye, in a bowl and mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter into 5 small bowls
- Add the food dye to four of the bowls (separate by colour) colour, leaving one plain.
- Melt a small knob of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Once it starts to bubble, put small spoonfuls of the pancake batter into the pan and shape into 4-5cm circles with the back of your spoon. If you do this, you should have enough to make 4 pancakes from each coloured batter.
- Keep a close watch on the pancakes to make sure they don’t get too brown. I’d say cook each one for a max of 2 mins, then flip over so they’re nice and golden brown.
- Stack the pancakes Serve with fresh fruit, ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth.
*Instagram. It’s what the cool kids call it. Or at least I think they do.