Look. How. Cute.
If you’re looking for something fun to bring to your Christmas Jumper Day bake sale, or something to entertain your favourite little people with, these cupcakes are a winner.
Warning – you need to like chocolate to get on board with this recipe.
- 175g/6 oz butter
- 175g/6 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 150g/ 5 oz self raising flour
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 12 cupcake cases
- 1 muffin tray with 12 spaces
- 150ml (5fl oz) double cream
- 150g (5oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces and melted
- Smarties/Crispy M&Ms for the nose
- Plain or chocolate pretzels for the antlers
- Giant buttons for the face
- Marshmallows and black writing icing for the eyes OR if you’re feeling a bit lazy like me, you can find edible eyes (not as gross a sit sounds!) at Sainsbury’s
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/gas mark 4.
- Put the soft butter, sugar, beaten eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and baking powder, then add the milk before mixing together.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases so they are evenly filled. They should really only be filled halfway.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 mins, 20 mins for larger cakes. In the meantime, prepare the icing.
- To make the icing: measure the cream and dark chocolate into a bowl and carefully melt over a pan of hot water over a low heat, or gently in the microwave for 1 min. Stir until melted, then set aside to cool a little and to thicken up.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and leave to cool before spreading icing on each of the cakes evenly.
- Now for the fun part! Press a giant chocolate button on each cupcake, then add your red smarties or Crispy M&Ms . If you are going with the mini marshmallows , slice them evenly and put a dot on each of them with the black writing icing for the eyes. If like me, your’e not great with the fiddly stuff, add the edible eyes. Then add your pretzels for the ears. They should stick in the icing. Rest them against the cupcake case if not.